Walk up carrer Major to get to the main square, where you can admire the Church of Santa Maria de Sineu (3). It is the most important monument of Sineu’s architectural heritage. The old church was destroyed by fire in 1505 and the construction of the new church, which is also Gothic, began immediately afterwards.

In 1880-1881 the church was expanded. The expansion works included the head of the church and the crossing, with an impressive dome resting on an octagonal base with pendentives. The ribs of the dome form a lively star shape. The main facade has an austere Gothic style and the cornice is triangular with an opening where the belfry stood in the past. The lateral facade is divided into two sections.

The church is formed by a single nave with a transverse crossing. It has five chapels on each side. The nave is covered by a ribbed vault. The church is dominated by the Gothic statue of the Virgin of Sineu. It is one of the so-called tabernacle virgins. The statue was created by Gabriel Mòger in 1509. The fourth chapel on the left is the “Capella Fonda”, which is covered by a ceiling with shells. It contains the beautiful Baroque altarpiece of the Virgin of “el Roser”, from 1672, with paintings by Rafel Guitard. The church has been closed for 7 years. It has been totally restored, windows have been installed and the pieces of the old altarpiece have been restored. It is also worth noting that a museum has been opened in the rectory. It displays an important collection of traditional pottery.

The bell tower (4) was built in 1549. It is not attached to the church but the buildings are connected by an enclosed bridge called "pontet de Santa Bàrbara". It has a square ground plan and 7 sections separated by mouldings ending in a pyramid. Access to the top is through a spiral staircase.
Admire the monument of Sant Marc (5) in front of the rectory. The sculpture is a copper cast from 1945. It was created by Joan Maimó in the Can Seguí workshops. In this case, the lion, which is the symbol of the Evangelist, is represented with wings and the coat of arms of Sineu. It is very possible that King Jaume II was responsible for the worship of Sant Marc, because the king had already devoted the royal chapel of Bellver Castle to the same evangelist saint. It seems he passed on his devotion to the local farmers. They implored the saint for rain in spring. This is how he became the town’s patron saint. The festival takes place on 25 April.

Follow the itinerary to reach the house of the conceptionist nuns, who occupy the Palace of the Kings of Mallorca (6), a symbol of the old splendour of Sineu. The palace was commissioned by King Jaume II in 1309. His orders were to build it on the foundations of an old Islamic building. It was quite probably the fortress of the Emir Mubaxir, who died in 1114. Between 1319 and 1523 it housed the “veguer de fora”, a local institution. The dissolution of the Kingdom of Mallorca had very adverse effects on the institution. In 1583, King Felipe II gave the building to the Conceptionist Nuns. It underwent important restorations (they were especially intense in the 17th century) to transform the building into a convent. The homage tower was restored in 1987.

The present building includes elements from the fortified palace and the cloister. It is a very heterogeneous site and the traditional church is the most outstanding building. It has a square ground plan divided into four sections. The first section contains the gallery and the presbytery. The church is covered by a groin vault; expect the presbytery, which is covered by a barrel vault. The presbytery is situated behind the grille and is dominated by the statue of the Immaculada, created in 1590 by Gaspar Gener. The main chapel is situated in the third section of the nave, on the left. The entrance has a segmental arch with helicoid fluting.

The chapel contains a painting of Santa Teresa, a rococo altarpiece and a 17th century statue of Sant Francesc Xavier on the predella. The second section contains the organ, which was built in 1882. The porter’s lodge is situated to the left of the convent church, forming a right angle. The door is crowned by a Franciscan coat of arms. It opens into the hall, which has a rectangular ground plan and is covered by two sections of groin vault. The centres of the vaults carry two keystones with religious motifs and six columns with thin shafts resting on a cobbled paving. On the right wall there is a rounded arch door and a turnstile, which is proof of the claustral rules of the convent.

The Convent of the Sisters of Charity (7) is located in carrer Rev. Arnau Ramis. The congregation settled in Sineu in 1864. The chapel of the convent is a neo-Gothic building that opened in 1892.

The door has a lancet arch with four plain archivolts. The archivolts and the jambs are not ornamented. The lower parts are made of limestone. Above the door you can see the impost line and a rose window. The glasswork forms the letter M, the anagram of the Virgin Mary. The cornice has vegetable motifs, two lateral pinnacles and a belfry crowned by a cross.

The chapel is located in number 19 and the convent is situated to the right. The facade of the convent has three floors and a lintelled door. The school building, which was built on 19 June 1927, is located to the left of the chapel. The classrooms are now empty and occupy three floors. The nuns stopped teaching a short while ago, when their school was integrated into the public school. Admire the rear portion of the palace and the magnificent view of the stone steps, which constitutes a bucolic and attractive corner.

Turn onto carrer Hospital to get to the old hospital (8). Sineu hospital was quite probably founded in 1240 by the royal concession of King Jaume II. It now houses the old people’s home. The first stone of the home was placed in 1918. At present a project has been launched to build a day centre. The hospital contains the Chapel of Sant Josep, which was originally devoted to Sant Jordi, until 1630 when it was devoted to Sant Josep.
It contains many valuable pieces, including a Renaissance painting on board representing the Virgin el Roser and la Sang, (work by Gaspar Gener), two baptismal fonts (one on a pedestal and the other one attached to the wall), a 17th century wooden sculpture that is paraded on the Maundy Thursday and Good Friday processions and another 16th century wooden sculpture that is also paraded during the Holy Week.

The walk ends at plaça Es Fossar (9), where as the name implies the cemetery once stood nearby. Since the 14th century the livestock market takes place in the square. The indoor market is located at the top of the market. It was built in 1956 and it is where the livestock was weighed.

(NEXT-PREVIOUS)